Thursday, June 21, 2012

day 173 - what would have been...

june 21st is one of those dates - one of those dates that always feels like should be a day of celebration.  of course it feels that way because for the first 29 years of my life it was...

today would have been my parents 37th anniversary.  even as i write this tears fill my eyes in the memory of what once was.  divorce is hard - and my perspective is only from one of the children.  i can't begin to imagine what it feels like for those walking through life in the midst of a broken relationship.  i don't pretend to know or understand all the reasons why divorce happens or what events took place even in my own family to break up my parents.  what i do know.....


... i love my mom and dad

... i know my mom and dad love me

... divorce sucks

... forgiveness is bigger than divorce


... love is bigger than divorce


... God is bigger than divorce


... family is still family no matter what

most of all i have learned about God's grace and how all things can be for His glory - even divorce.  no, i do not believe God's perfect plan includes divorce - but divorce was not too big a issue for God to handle either.  i have a beautiful loving step mother in a loving, committed, God centered relationship with my dad.  i have a mom who i was able to re-build a wonderful relationship with and live near for four years.  my kids know and have beautiful relationships with each of their grand-parents.  good, dare i even say - amazing, things have come out of my parents divorce.

pain is pain - which is why tears come easy - however, knowing the story is bigger and that it is nowhere close to finished is exciting.  i can't wait to see how Gods redemptive story in my family will continue to be revealed in all of us.

No comments: