Sunday, October 21, 2012

Day293 - being home

this morning we decided to head into grand rapids to visit the church i grew up in, thornapple covenant.  lilly had a soccer game a couple miles away in the afternoon so we left a few hours earlier and went to church.  so much of my youth and formation happened within the walls and amongst the people who make up this church.  my family, at one time, were avid participants in the body who made up this church.  it has been years since my family has left the church and years since i had even visited.  as i approached the doors i was immediately welcomed by a familiar face and then another and another and another.  i was overwhelmed.  our kids left to their age appropriate classes and then dave and i entered the worship space.  singing the hymns of my youth, listening to the choir, and hearing a wonderful teaching about downward and upward mobility i found myself crying through most of the service.  i encountered love and God in that space.  even now as i write this i find myself welling up with tears at even the recollection.  i didn't find myself crying for what had been or even over the sentiment of my youth.  i found myself crying at the peace that overwhelmed me with the feeling of "being home".  the Lord is my refuge.  what a wonderful space to be.

No comments: