Wednesday, February 24, 2010

therapy

i see a counselor. i actually have an appointment tomorrow morning with jodi boyd at westshore integrative health. therapy/counseling has been an amazing journey for me and i am so thankful to have the opportunity and insurance coverage which allows me to see her and share my heart every other week. my road to ongoing counseling began as a quest to "fix" my insomnia when the traditional route of medical care wasn't working. now, over a year later, i can't help but look at counseling as a necessity for the well being of my mind, heart and soul. i have found it to be a safe and unapologetic place for me to just "be" and learn how to empower and love myself enough to move beyond my own anxieties and live life to the full potential that God created me to. i love to talk about my experiences with counseling and am very open about the fact that i see someone and have encouraged many a friend to at least consider seeing someone. out of curiousity, what are your thoughts on counseling/therapy? why do you think there is, at times, such a negative stigma with the idea of seeing someone about the way you feel?

2 comments:

Chantal said...

I think it is great Misty. My personal thought is that those who oppose only do so through the fear of exposing. Confidant people are comfortable opening up and working on themselves and really, that is all counseling is...improving on oneself. I've had some great counselors in my time. I could probably use a therapist right now to help me work on my Type-A personality ways. Haha! :) Too much on my plate all the time coupled with perfectionism. Somehow it trickles down into an attack on my immune system. ;)

I hope your insomnia has found some improvement and you have a great session! Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Interesting timing Misty- I just had my first session in a years with a counselor and my mom's first response was, 'Oh no whats wrong with you!' I felt like it was a great time as I change careers, start a new decade, and look towards the future to have an unbiased, educated, sounding board to listen and challenge me. I think we would be a much happier culture if there was not such a strong stigma against going to counseling. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience. Who can't use a little extra help in their lives?
Heather Rose Otto